Friday, January 28, 2011

What I learned from Neil Stephenson

Before I start with todays seminar with Neil I just wanted to say a few things about blogging and what I'm learning from that. I try to ride my bike to school as much as possible and I find that it allows me to do a lot of reflecting,  this is what I was thinking about today on my ride home. I remember last semester having to use a journal to write our reflections about our classes and our teaching experiences. The question I have is this, why did we not start a blog at the beginning of the two year program? Wouldn't it have been great to be able to look back at what we were writing about, feeling or doing in our teaching practices? Besides the fact that it would have been a great tool to use throughout our two years and would be an ongoing journal and efolio combined! I think the blog is a better tool than the efolio because it can be used like and efolio but people can also add comments to it, which would be valuable as well. Just putting it out there.
The other thing I was thinking about on the ride home is, why is this class not mandatory for all and it should be a class in each semester on campus, sort of like the lecture series. So far in the three weeks we've had in this class I've learned more about inquiry than in the year and a half prior. The information about technology is awesome but so is the information about inquiry and how to include it in the classroom. I think that after todays seminar I can truly say that I have a pretty good idea of what inquiry is and ways to use it to teach, not that I'd be good at it yet but at least I feel I can make a go of it!! Not blowing smoke up any butts but this class is it!!
Ok onto todays seminar, I felt like Neil presented inquiry in away that was understandable and useable to us as new teachers. He gave great ideas about how to form questions, what should be thought about in forming the questions, and how to use technology in completing a task. I also really liked that he emphasized not to use technology when it has no use in certain scenarios. I sort of feel a bit bombarded with the whole technology thing and he cleared that up a bit by saying it should only be included when it truly fits. I like the idea of not forcing it in any learning situation. It was great to see his ideas and technology used by real students and what they were able to do with it. I really need to see things to get a full understanding of their uses.
I'm glad that I was able to talk with Neil after the class about the RSS feeds. I immediately changed my home page to igoogle and added the google reader to it so I can have RSS feeds right on my home page. I'm very excited about it.
The other thing that was really inspirational in Neil's presentations was that the teachers at his school collaborating to make these lessons work. The fact that his school has built in the collaboration time into their day so they can plan more engaging work for the students should be and inspiration to all schools. It feels like we talk about how this should happen but I didn't see it happening in the schools that I did practicums in.
Well that's it for now, later skaters.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith :) You have a great point about the blogging journals. Actually, I did blog my journal. However it was over the university's secure portal, eDOL. It was excellent. My first year teacher wasn't interested so we didn't do that. I can honestly say that I got so much more out of the blogging semester. My partner teacher gave way more feedback, as did my field advisor. Everyone knew what was going on all the time. I think online journaling should be mandatory in our program.

    I completely agree with your comments on inquiry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith
    I accidentally deleted my first post, so lets hope it works this time, lol! I've been using technology since the Internet's arrival in the workplace. in working with the public library, finding information was my business....and I still don't feel like I know enough! So no worries, you'll pick it up as you go...

    I have never used social networking. I recognize the word RSS, but I have no idea what it is, so can you explain it to me? Pretend I'm your student and asked you to help me. Help me.

    I also agree with your idea about the blogging journal, I should have done it anyways on my own, I know Mitch did. My first year P/T wasn't interested either, it was a generational thing, and this years P/T is technologically challenged, she was so funny. In a plea for efficiency it should ALL be online, case tutorials, e-portfolio, field journal, lesson plans...etc, wish I had thought of it earlier...sigh - a day late and a dollar short - again, :-) lol I truly hate how not one instructor has never really "looked" at my e-portfolio, I require active and ongoing feedback for heaven's sake!

    ReplyDelete